Friday, September 3, 2010

Mount And Blade Merchant

George Santayana and Jorge Guillen










By 1947 George Santayana undertook the task of translating one tenth of Jorge Guillén, belonging to the Song poems. It made several versions until they finally sent the author the definitive Valladolid in July 1950, at Wesley College in Massachusetts, where he then taught teaching. This version will which collect the manuscript volume Posthumous Poems and published in the posthumous volume The Poet's Testament (1953) Here
Guillén's poem, followed by the translation of George Santayana:



PUCKS remains the trot here,
Enter your start and my hand. Well, is well tight

His intention to be far away.
Cause I'm on a horse
A true wonder:
Still with all vigor.
And by how much I have in bronze
quiet all the soul,
Clara in the cold sky! EQUESTRIAN STATUE




Suspended Motion stays here Twixt
ITS Starting and my hand. Tightly braced

the peace stand far Well Planned for a career.
For I ride a courser bent On a Marvelous
intent:
moving Never, ever bold.
Oh, by whatcalm Strength of will
Lives in my whole soul bronze
Clearer still in the ethereal cold!


Jorge Guillén visit in 1951 to George Santayana in Rome, then held-from late 1941-in a room at the Clinica della Piccola Compagna di Maria, the Sisters care for Irish Blue (Blue Nuns ). From this meeting it is reported by a letter to Pedro Salinas and the statements he made to Juan Guerrero and is reflected in an article published in Insula in 1952.


On this visit, Guillen thanked him for his translation of the poem into English and he expresses his desire to translate some of his own into Castilian. Although not decided by any one in particular, will, finally, the "Sonnet L", 1895, collected in Poems (1923), who choose Guillén, published with the poem translated by Santayana in The Journal of Philosophy in 1964, commemorating the centenary of the birth of "Old Philosopher," as Wallace Stevens called his friend in a famous poem. Here is the sonnet
Santayana and translation que de él hizo Jorge Guillén:

SONNET L

Though utter death should swallow up my hope
And choke whith dust the mouth of my desire.
Though no dawn burst, and no aurorean choir
Sing GLORIA DEO when the heavens ope.

Yet have I light of love, nor need to grope
Lost, wholly lost, without and inward fire;
The flame that quickeneth the world entire
Leaps in my breast, with cruel death to cope.

Hath not the night-environed earth her flowers?
Hath not my grief the blessed joy of thee?
Is not tne comfort of these singing hours.

Full of thy perfectnees, enough for me?
They Are Not Evil, Then, Those hidden Powers: One love sufficeth
an eternity

SONNET L
In memory of Jorge Ruiz de Santayana .

Although absolute death swallow my hope
and dusty mouth to stifle my desire,
Although no tipping and no dawn chorus
Tone DEO GLORIA when the sky opens

I have a light of love, I'm not groping and
Completely lost without a fire inside.
The flame that inspired the entire human space jumps Covers
my chest, facing death.

dont have the night of the earth the flowers?
My grief does not have you joy?
Is not it enough for me great comfort

Of these hours so perfect for you, sing?
are bad then no hidden powers,
That just one love for eternity.


0 comments:

Post a Comment